Friday, March 5, 2010

What ???? Hello????

Hey guys,

I think tonight marks the first time that I intentionally went to an Egyptian wedding. I've been ambushed into a few, but tonight was the first time that I actually made plans to go to one. You know, it was actually pretty fun. I saw some people that I recognized, which made it even more fun.

For the last few days I've been hanging out with a couple of deaf-mute guys. I met one a couple weeks ago, and he's been introducing me to his friends. Between a mixture of charades, sign language, lip-reading, and note-writing we manage to make ourselves understood to each other. Today I learned the signs for male and female. The sign for a guy is to twirl your fingers at the side of your mouth, right where your mustache would be if you had one. The symbol for a gal is to make the shape of an hourglass with your hands.

Tonight I ended up having tea with a group of guys, some of whom can speak and some of whom can't. I kept forgetting who could hear and who couldn't. So it made for several funny situations. I'd talk to people who couldn't understand me. Then I'd try to sign a question to someone else, and they'd start talking to me. Kind of funny . . .

One of my friends invited me to the wedding, so I decided I would go with him. Since we communicate mostly by sign language and lip reading, it didn't matter how loud the music was at the wedding. We were still able to communicate.

Okay guys, that's it for now. Hope y'all are doing well . . .

-Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment