Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Only one for you . . .

Hey guys,

I had an interesting experience tonight. I've got a friend here who often asks me to write text messages and emails for him in English. He'll tell me what he wants to say, then I translate and send it for him. For as long as I've known him he's been corresponding with a young German lady that he met last year. They both seemed pretty serious about each other, so I didn't mind translating for him.

Last night I was hanging out with him at a local coffee shop and he said that he'd gotten engaged. I asked him if it was to the German girl and he said no. He said it was to some local girl that he's known for a really long time.

Anyway, tonight he came by my flat and wanted to check his email. He had two emails from the German girl, who is still very much in love with him. He asked me to write her an email back and I told him no. I told him that since he'd just gotten engaged to another girl, I wasn't going to keep writing emails to this girl for him. He asked why, so we had a good, long chat about how you treat women; especially western women.

He thanked me for talking to him about it, then left. I'm not sure what the long-term effects of that conversation are going to be. In Islam a man is allowed to have four wives. So just because he gets married doesn't necessarily mean that he has to stop looking. But, I'm going to hope that my friend took the lesson.

Okay guys, that's it for now . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment