Friday, February 19, 2010

Yummy!

Okay, so a question that I often get asked in my line of work is, "what's the strangest thing you've ever eaten?" It used to be deep-fried crickets, until last night that is. But now I've got a new answer . . . live maggots.

Egyptians are fond of this really old, really salty cheese called "mesh." They store it for months just to let it ferment. But apparently Egyptians aren't the only ones who are fond of it, maggots seems to have a thing for it too. I brought some of my friends falafel last night at their store. They were appreciative, so they decided to share some mesh with me. When they took the cover off the top of the cheese I thought that the cheese was stringy and was sticking to the top of the container. But no, it was maggots.

When in Rome . . . right? I couldn't decide whether to chew extra hard to make sure that they were dead, or to swallow them whole and pretend they weren't there.

Ah Egypt, how I love thee . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment