Saturday, July 17, 2010

Funny story . . .

Okay guys, I just had a random experience happen and I'm not sure whether I should be offended or complimented

A bit of cultural background first. Nobody walks on the sidewalks in Egypt. Everyone walks in the street. In fact, the only people who walk on the sidewalks are tourists. For some reason Egyptian sidewalks are really high, and it's just simpler to walk in the street. So, it's an easy way to spot a tourist. That being said . . .

I was wearing my galabiya and sidari (a vest that a southern bedouin tribe wears, a very recent gift from a friend) and walking down the street. It was pretty dark on the street. A taxi came down the road behind me, and a European man stuck his head out the passenger window and screamed, "get out of the road you f---ing farmer!" (I'll leave the blanks to your imagination) I just stood there in the street for a moment, kind of lost for words. My first reaction was, "you're not in your country, man." But I decided to take it as a compliment, and walked off with a smug grin on my face. I think this is the first time I've been mistaken for an Egyptian.

No comments:

Post a Comment