Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Sand and rivers (of sand)

Hey guys.

So, we had a sandstorm yesterday. I like sandstorms here. The whole world feels heavier somehow. It's kind of like fog that you can brush off. Not a good day to hang my laundry out on the line though.

I got a package from some friends back home today. It was such a welcome surprise. They'd told me that they were sending something, but I completely forgot about it. It was kind of like Christmas. Magazines, skittles, a key-chain, and best of all, a video of all my friends from back home. I think I've already watched it at least three times. There's something about familiar places and voices to make you feel loved and valuable. It was like a taste of home.

I don't know if you've ever stepped into a river and stood in it for a while. In the beginning, you're really aware of the current and the feel of the water against your legs. But after a while, you just get used to it. I feel kind of like that right now. When I first got here, everything was so different and I felt like I was aware of everything. But enough time's gone by now that I feel like I'm kind of getting numb to a lot of stuff. It comes in really handy in some cases, but it's a little surreal at other times. I find that sometimes I just feel a little numb to life. Just kind of going through the motions in a semi-somnolent state of existence.

I bought some new jeans last week and had to retire some old ones. Too many holes to be decent any more. But I decided to try and keep them useful for a little bit longer. I cut out all of the pockets, and am sewing them all together to make a big "pocket bag." I'm sure it'll look a little strange when it's done, but I'm betting it'll be utilitarian too. Okay, maybe it'll look strange. I'll post a picture of it when I finish it.

Okay, that's it for now . . .

1 comment:

  1. So, I just discovered your blog, and it's sooo good to hear your voice!

    ReplyDelete